Creating Brand Consistency
WHY BEING THE SAME IS A GOOD THING WHEN IT COMES TO BRANDING
Whether you are big or small biz creating a consistent brand image and message is crucial. Consumers are exposed to an overload of information, there has never been so much content and information available in an instant. Is your brand standing out amongst all the noise? Do you offer a truly authentic experience that builds devotees, true brand ambassadors? Consumers are looking for a story to connect with a brand they can see themselves in. Take them on a journey where they feel at ease with every brand interaction point. Brand consistency says you are the expert, credible, and care about the details.
foundation AREAS OF FOCUS THAT SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE CONSISTENT IN YOUR BRANDING
- Establish placement and sizing
- Placement can be centered, upper left, lower left, and such
- Minimum and maximum logo sizes should be determined
- Choose 1–3 colors as your primary brand color palette
- Include at least one neutral for body copy and secondary information
- Expanded palettes can be used for seasonal and/or special occasion needs
- Choose 1–3 fonts and stick with them
- Designate how headlines, subheads, and body copy will be treated
- If possible, make sure print and web fonts are the same
Once you have defined your brand basics it is time to make brand guidelines. These ensure that any member of your team or outside vendors will follow your brand's established look and feel. Guidelines can be a simple poster, desktop cheat sheet, or book.