In an effort to rid my room of Ikea particle board I purchased a mid-century modern dresser from a vintage shop (yes, it's real wood…walnut) The dresser is a Broyhill and a part of the Premiere Division. I have yet to find a similar dresser online, I found only found one nightstand. So I don't know much about the dresser except it's hard to find! Even though the dresser was faded and the finish had yellowed, I saw it had the potential to be beautiful. I have never done a restoration on a piece of furniture and had to call to my Dad to see if he thought I could tackle this restoration (always a Daddy's girl), with a few tips and a vote of confidence I was sure I could do it.
The first step was to strip all the finish and stain from the dresser, as I said it was yellowed and faded. As I stripped back layer by layer the true wood began to reveal itself. This process took some time, the dresser was stubborn in giving up the finish it had held onto for some 50 years. With some patience, a face mask, and a whole lot of eco-friendly stripper I managed to remove all the old weathered stain. This is when it started getting exciting. I could see where this would end up.
The next step in the restoration is the sanding, and due to some "life" things getting in the way I have stalled out here. The restoration is a work in progress and it does drive me a bit crazy not having it finished. But the process has been both satisfying and insightful, I learned that I had it in me the whole time to tackle a project like this…I just needed to jump in. So more to come, the finished beautiful dresser is on the horizon.
And what do you know…after a lot of stripping, sanding, and finishing, I did i!